104 Monticello Avenue
The elegant Craftsman house at 104 Monticello Avenue in Piedmont sits on a prominent knoll at the corner of Monticello and Ramona Avenues. This grand two-story, 5 bedroom house has a side gabled roof and a second story balcony that spans most of the front. Classic round columns flank the entry with its curved broken pediment and leaded glass sidelights. Built as the model home for the neighborhood, it has several exceptional features including the lozenge-patterned leaded glass windows in the dining room and sawtooth shingles in the western gable.
As you enter the spacious entry hall, pocket doors open to the living room on the right and dining room on the left. The light-filled living room has large windows to the west and south and a fireplace with a classic mantel and tile surround to warm the room. The small sun room, a former porch, opens to the immaculate garden and patio with a fountain where lattice fencing provides privacy.
The handsome dining room has three leaded glass windows, an intimate fireplace and closet especially designed with seven shelves to hold china and crystal. Doors open to a cozy breakfast room and updated kitchen with built-in stove and range and a wine closet. The washer and dryer are in a separate alcove, conveniently close but out of the kitchen. The nearby pantry is cleverly designed to increase storage space. From the kitchen, steps lead to the rose garden and to the large basement storage area.
Adjacent to the kitchen, the fifth bedroom, the former maid’s room and full bath, now serves as the owner’s office.
From the entry hall, a graceful staircase with three large leaded glass windows ascends to the master suite, three generously sized bedrooms and bathroom. The master bedroom looks out to the front balcony, and windows to the west give a glimpse of the bay. A small fireplace warms the room, and two closets offer hanging space. The ensuite master bathroom has an updated vanity and combination tub/shower.
The three additional bedrooms are generously sized and have large windows for good light. Each room also has a partial bay view and shares a full bathroom off the upstairs hall.
The house has a full attic with two rooms, one finished, and a closet that offer lots of storage or potential for expansion. The two car garage can be accessed conveniently through the laundry area off the kitchen.
This house at 104 Monticello was built in 1906. Edwards Transcript of Records published the contract to build the house on April 7, 1906, just days before the San Francisco earthquake and fire. The contract listed the Piedmont Building Association as the owner, J. R. MacGregor as the builder and Bakewell and Brown as the architects. The cost of construction was $ 4947, quite a bit in 1906.
The original entry was on Ramona and the house address was 201 Ramona Avenue for 20 years. The path to the front door came up from the corner. Sometime after this picture was taken, the entry was changed and fireplace and chimney replaced the angled bay in the living room.
Architects Bakewell and Brown were John Bakewell Jr. and Arthur Brown Jr. They studied architecture at L’Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris together and graduated in 1901. After a period of travel, they formed their architectural firm in 1904. Articles on the architects describe them as prominent San Francisco architects, best known for designing the new San Francisco City Hall (after the 1906 earthquake), the Library at Stanford University and participating in the design of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition from 1912 to 1915. In 1905, they designed two houses in Piedmont: 223 Hillside and 304 Pala for the Piedmont Building Association. The house at 223 Hillside Avenue has the same leaded glass windows in a lozenge pattern in the second story.
The Piedmont Building Association was formed by real estate developers Wickham Havens and Walter Leimert. They owned the entire block, and 104 Monticello was the first house they built here. John R. MacGregor was a local contractor or builder who later became a real estate salesman.
Robert Dunn and his wife Eleanor and their four children were the first residents. Dunn was an orthodontist (in 1906!) and lived here until 1915.
The current owners have been here since 1967.
Sunday February 24th, 2pm-4:30pm
Additional Showings by Appointment:
Contact Mindy & Talley Scott
510.821.2075 Mindy mobile
510.282.4231 Talley mobile